Gaming News: Student arrested for making a map of his school

A Chinese student was removed from Clements High School in Fort Bend, Texas after parents complained he had re-created the school grounds in a game and uploaded the map for his friends to play. The boy was placed in the district’s alternate education school and later arrested, as the police considered him a “t erroristic threat”.

“They arrested him, Chen said of FBISD police, and also went to the house to search”.The Lin family consented to the search, and a hammer was found in the boy’s room, which he used to fix his bed, because it wasn’t in good shape, Chen said. He indicated police seized the hammer as a potential weapon.

The Chinese community and the boy’s mother have rallied behind him, saying the school has acted too harshly in the wake of the Virginia Tech shoot ings. No charges were filed, though the boy won’t be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.

Photos of the CS map can be found here: (what a shame! this map looks pretty good!)

And here’s the actual map, minus the textures:

www.megaupload.com/?d=F48893HJ
rapidshare.com/files/29195663/clmbsp.rar.html
www.megashare.com/165325

Later Update:

I found the whole story (originally hosted on Fort Bend Now):
A Chinese student has been arrested in Texas, charged with “Suspected T errorist Activity”. This student was apprehended after parents discovered that he had used plans of his High School in the creation of a map for an online first person shooter. The authorities were notified after parents learned of the map from their children, who had downloaded it off of the internet.

“They arrested him,. Chen said of FBISD police, .and also went to the house to search.. The Lin family consented to the search, and a hammer was found in the boy’s room, which he used to fix his bed, because it wasn’t in good shape, Chen said. He indicated police seized the hammer as a potential weapon.

While no charges have been filed against the student, he has been removed from Clements High School and will not be allowed to graduate with his former classmates.

I don’t know what to say. For most of us who have ever designed a 3D environment, using familiar surroundings is very common place. With no sinister motive, designers use plans for all sorts of different areas to add variety to their designs. I don’t understand the punishment given to this student, who has been cleared of any premonitions for violence.

He has been convicted of no crime but then the school expels him? I guess “innocent until proven guilty” has no merit with the school board. Even with the authorities finding no evidence of gaming-related causes for the Virginia Tech shootings… It seems that we, as gamers, still are targeted as warped killers.

Posted under

This post was written by bullets on May 3, 2007

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

175 Comments so far

1. marc July 7, 2008 4:26 pm

…land of the free…

2. Michael July 7, 2008 4:50 pm

p.s ty to look up the word irony before you post angry hate comments d.s.

Mike

3. Ashe July 7, 2008 6:38 pm

okay….I was planning on doing this too….making a map for say…R6vegas…based on my school….but hey…., I will! I dont live in americaa *victory dance*

4. Ashe July 7, 2008 6:43 pm

dont get me wrong…im not planning on killing anyone in school…

5. anon July 7, 2008 7:04 pm

Zero Tolerance = Zero Intelligence

6. Sasa July 7, 2008 7:08 pm

That’s a bunch of BS. If I didn’t know any better I’d say it was racial profiling against that kid. All he did was make a map, which you can usually get from a new student packet. What did he do wrong? Nothing honestly, if I was that boy’s parents I’d sue the school district because they are stripping that kid of something he busted his butt for 4 years for. Public schools these days are nothing but a sad joke, and they all are catering to those who raise the most hell.

7. schiffster July 7, 2008 8:15 pm

this is bullshit…he’s not a terrorist he’s a gamer and Harvard just came out with the study that said gaming actually reduces the likely hood of a troubled child!

I wish I came up with the idea and had the skill to make a gaming map of my high school it would have been awesome!

8. shocked July 7, 2008 8:33 pm

you have GOT to be kidding me!
    seemingly educated people letting emotions get the best of them.
    im sorry but the terrorists have won.. they have scared us all shitless..
    its a shame.

9. Whipple Berry July 7, 2008 8:34 pm

You have got to be kidding me.

10. trav July 7, 2008 8:37 pm

amazing. The poor kid, he was just looking to have some fun. And whats with the Chienese thing? Was he of Chienese decent, or an exchange student? Freaking people need to settle down and stop living in fear. Give kids the benefit of the doubt that they arent evil terrorists.

11. Askabarr July 7, 2008 9:02 pm

An excellent example of to much paranoia. An innocent set of cirumstances twisted into a plot. I fear the American people have become so hyperaware;that the days when a hammer is, just a hammer; have gone.

12. Rumpelstilzchen July 7, 2008 10:06 pm

The problem isn’t so much with the government, but with the schools themselves. Schools don’t practice the “innocent until proven guilty” laws that courts do. Students, unlike most other citizens, have very little rights. It’s just how it is.

I don’t see the issue as being racist, however. Unless parents and school board members are explicitly pointing out the fact that he’s Chinese, and that’s why they consider him a terrorist threat. I think the main point of the terrorist allegations are that he used the school’s map for a FPS. Not terrorist, but something that shouldn’t be shared with many other students due to the state of schools in general. With the amount of people that don’t understand that video games are just video games, and not some gateway into making children killing machines, it’s no surprise this happened.

But, hey, with all of the fucking idiots shooting up schools and public places, people are gonna blame something. Generally the only people to blame are the shooters themselves and their parents. But the bad parents never admit that they’re bad at parenting.

13. ts July 7, 2008 10:55 pm

Just imagine the rage this kid must be feeling after being robbed of the once in a lifetime event of a high school graduation…. over a GAME. If the thought of shooting up the school never had crossed his mind… I’m sure it has since this happened.

I agree with Sasa – his parents should file a lawsuit. Unless the school has a rule that is in writing that says students aren’t allowed to create a map of the school in a first person shooter, which I seriously doubt they have, there’s no way they could lose. I’d be first in line to donate for their legal fees.

14. Blizzera July 7, 2008 11:01 pm

Wait, he can’t participate in graduation stuff because of THIS? That’s frickin’ BS.

15. Chaos July 7, 2008 11:01 pm

Utterly insane. They found a HAMMER? OH FUCKING NOES, A HAMMER. GTFO my world idiots.

16. Warbaine July 8, 2008 12:36 am

Hooray for blind media fed fear!

17. marty July 8, 2008 12:42 am

my friends and i always wanted to do this but none of us had the skill orreally wanted to invest the time and effort into making it. stupid mccarthyist authorities.

18. dejj July 8, 2008 1:29 am

Agree with Sasa. Although it has become commonplace under the Bush administration that seemingly stupid actions are in order, I fail to believe that there are no hidden motives, like racism or anything financial in behind it.

Presumably this is all part of a campaign to make the rest of the world believe Americans are all stupid, in a kind of long-term 假痴不癲 (of the 36 stratagems).

19. Andrew July 8, 2008 2:04 am

I remember when the HL2 SDK (Software Development Kit) came out and the first thing I went to model was my high school (Don’t worry everyone though, I never finished it).

As bad as it may sound, it really is the only logical thing to want to model at that age. Besides the house you live in, it’s really where you spend a lot of your time and you know the place well enough to model it in a 3D world. Plus, it’s something you can show too your friends and they can relate to (assuming they go to the same school). It really shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that schools are usually the first thing modeled by somebody just trying to learn a new trade. People need to stop freaking out.

And seriously, a hammer? They confiscated a hammer? Who does terrorist activity with a freaking hammer? Can I get a round of common sense?

20. Zombie July 8, 2008 3:34 am

- Oh my god, your son brought a pocket knife on a camp out, KILL HIM!!
    - All your maps belong to us.
    - I am afraid that a man who lives in a cave and doesn’t shave is going to bring down the USA.
    - I can’t believe we once used the Chinese and Afrikaans as slaves, now they could both take us.
    - He had a hammer, Jesus was nailed to a cross……… OMG!

21. mick July 8, 2008 4:09 am

hey michael, fuck you.

p.s. irony: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other’s false conceptions

22. theY4Kman July 8, 2008 4:26 am

I have firsthand experience with this sort of situation. I was talking over Steam to an (ex-)friend of mine, and I said, “Man, if you don’t shut up, I’m gonna bring a gun and shoot you myself.” And wouldn’t you know it, I got pulled out of class the next day and was suspended for ten days. I hate to be a bumbling part of the crowd, but the modern public schooling system is a bunch of bullshit.

23. minnie July 8, 2008 4:28 am

photoshopped

24. Andrew July 8, 2008 5:09 am

kind of odd, because our software teacher once _asked_ us to make an unreal tournament map of our school. We never got round to doing it though.

25. Live Lighting Girl July 8, 2008 6:02 am

…woo i feel so safe now… remind me next time i sit down to play some CS or Unreal to make sure im not playing on a map that resembles somewhere i may have been…

we need more schools like my college (full sail university) even in our audio classes, we play Medal of Honor as part of ambient sound exercises…video games are not the root of evil!

what the hell is this world coming to? Askabarr said it right, “the american people have become so hyperaware; that the days when a hammer, was just a hammer; have gone”

whats next? telling steam and all them to not allow their software to be customizable??

26. K.C. July 8, 2008 6:25 am

Wow… What do you think they would think of the map I ended up scrapping a few months ago based off of pistures I took on a tour of the white house years ago? Hell, I have an entire 36 piece tool set in my room.

27. Brittany July 8, 2008 6:59 am

No wonder kids are fucked up these days. Who wouldn’t want to rebel against such a shitty system.

Personally I am attending an Art school and they ENCOURAGE the students to make maps of existing areas. Game Art students are required to learn the Unreal Engine and they have made not only our school as a map (complete with some of the faculty or things that would be identifiable as theirs) and they have made a map of the local mall too!!! They aren’t terrorists, they are learning and doing one hell of a job!

If I were the kid or his parents I would be PISSED. And his parents are the ones who said something. So who in the hell is the kid supposed to trust?

28. Viper_blade July 8, 2008 7:06 am

Check the graphics and the talent behind the design. Would one be arrested for doing a mall or other public structure? This not someone who is a threat. This is next guy designing the multi-billion dollar skyscrapers. I got a hammer and a whole rachet set in my room does that constitute a theat. Sounds to me like they didn’t want to leave empty handed. Hey @$$#0!3$ you owe a kid a hammer.

29. Justin H July 8, 2008 7:18 am

Wow, I would almost welcome this kind of unfair punishment. Being able to sue the district for wrongful and unjust punishment would make for great tuition money to whichever college I liked, especially after the publicity it would cause and/or make.

I wonder which education deprived community this is in, oh wait Texas, weird. A quick bit of research shows that Fort Bend happens to be the wealthiest county in Texas. Yay for money and ignorance.

30. Christian July 8, 2008 10:24 am

@Michael

China owns 20% of America:

Japan owns even bigger of America. That’s the only reason you are enjoying the lifestyle you live right now. America’s not saving and not exporting – and quite frankly looking to be quite the historical economic ‘train wreck.’ Your credit card, your mortgage, your student loan is all made possible partly because of China.

31. Brady July 8, 2008 10:32 am

The end punishment was harsh. Other steps needed to be taken. This could’ve been a warning sign for something else. It seems as though it isn’t.

The truth is though he shouldn’t have made the map.

In a game where simulate murdering people making a map of your school will draw attention.

Simulated killing in real life school = not good.

32. ashton July 8, 2008 10:38 am

thats fucked up… how much more stupid can you get? I made a map of my school am I a terroristic threat? Well probably cos im muslim lol

33. Teros July 8, 2008 11:47 am

What the fuck man, some guy makes a map for CS based on his school and he gets expelled. America’s full of fucking shit. Anywhere else in the world, this would be acceptable.

34. SuperSparky July 8, 2008 12:06 pm

In this day and age of parental paranoia and psycho nut jobs shooting classmates because they “didn’t fit in”. I would think that out of simple forethought and self-preservation and responsibility, one would think twice about making their school a venue for shooting, even if in a harmless game.

Just like carrying a toothpaste tube on a plane was no big deal before 9/11, and now a confiscated item, one would think that just perhaps a group of paranoid and uninformed parents and “fearing for their job” school officials might just find this map a great danger to the students. It would have been more intelligent to not have created the map in the first place.

Sure, the authorities overreacted, but I can understand why. Knowing this possibility and avoiding it all together is called being “wise” and shows an exercise of responsibility. Something a high school student usually hasn’t yet learned about existing in a society that doesn’t always see things the way they do.

What do we learn about this? Think before you act would be a good start. Think about all of the possible consequences of an action beyond how “cool” it would be.

35. Jon July 8, 2008 12:08 pm

Stupid texans.

If I owned a place in texas and a place in Hell, I would rent the place in texas and live in Hell.

36. Robanov July 8, 2008 12:09 pm

Unfortunately this doesn’t surprise me at all. This is just another case of authorities overreacting to something they have little or no knowledge about. This guys achievements should be celebrated instead of him being expelled, I’m sure another school would be happy to snap him up and so they should. I hate to stereotype but as an outsider from Britain it really does seem as if America has gone absolutely crazy over this terrorist thing which really doesn’t pose anywhere near as much of a threat as they make out!

37. Pedro Vieira July 8, 2008 12:36 pm

Wait a minute.

Isn’t in Texas that people are entitled legally to “own a gun” for “personal proteccion”?

Now let’s do some basic maths, multiply the number of families living in Texas for the number of possible fire weapons existing for “personal proteccion”.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Signed: European Dude.

38. Sean July 8, 2008 1:11 pm

There is a thought exercise that goes something like this:

In America, freedom of speech is guaranteed by the Constitution as one of our most important rights. If you are in a crowded movie theater and scream “Fire” you will be almost certainly arrested for it. But, what about freedom of speech?

Yelling fire in a crowded theater can cause a mass rush for the doors causing injury or even death. Your freedom of speech has to be balanced against the common good of the group.

We are all aware of Virginia Tech, and Columbine. School shootings touch a deep nerve in America. Does the student’s freedom of speech supersede the right of the students and teachers peace of mine? The majority have decided in this matter over and over all across America.

It does not.

Their is only one effective way to help mitigate the possibility of another Columbine or Virginia Tech. A zero tolerance policy. When you have a policy that allows “grey” areas, those areas may be exploited and the results can be catastrophic.

The argument is not about his freedom to create something, it’s everyone else’s freedom to live and work in as stress free an environment as possible. Certainly it appears he created the map for nothing more than fun. Unfortunately, a real possibility exists that someone with bad intentions could use that map as practice.

The world is full of evil people. It’s our reality. Until a better solution is worked out, zero tolerance is the policy. I think the school handled the situation exactly the way it should be. They should be praised for taking a proactive approach in this situation instead of waiting for another disaster to happen to determine policy.

39. A TERRORIST July 8, 2008 3:23 pm

ZOMG, I HAVE GREAT IDEA FELLOW TERRORIST!! WE WILL MAKE MAPS OF THE PLACES WE INTEND TO DESTROY TO KILL ALL THE INFIDELS AND POST IT ON THE INTERNET.. YES YES.. WE WILL KILL ALL THOSE AMERICANS WITH HAMMERS!!! I KNOW.. WE SHOULD POST OUR PLAN ON THE INTERNET SO EVERYONE KNOWS IN ADVANCE!!

for some reason i dont think real terrorist who plan to hurt people give up their plan before they do it. see the basic idea is to catch people by surprise. Otherwise it doesnt work out too well for them, as the police/ government generally trys to prevent that sort of thing.

The terrorist have succeeded in making the american consumer voter and politician scarred shitless. As ben franklin said, a man who trades freedom for security will soon find he has neither. A lot of americans are more afraid of their government than terrorist at this point, I am one of them. I cant have a can of coke past the checkpoint because it might be a bomb. But I can buy one after the checkpoint for 5 bucks.. We’ve lost more freedoms because of the cowards here in the US than the cowards over seas, and then we send our young men to die for what? Freedom? How about getting some freedom back in the states before we try giving it to iraq.

40. Ashan July 8, 2008 4:46 pm

Man, if I were this kid, the school’s handling of this issue would ENCOURAGE me to commit a violent act. I made a map of my school in Duke3d way back in the day and we played it at school with my Technology teacher. People are so afraid nowadays that innocent people are being harassed just because some dumbass can’t differentiate between reality and a game. Sickening.

41. wiggles July 8, 2008 4:47 pm

I made a doom II map of my high school back in the early 90s. A lot of people found out about it and it was actually really popular within my school. The computer teacher knew about it and everything. Boy how times have changed.

42. gnarlygnome July 8, 2008 5:09 pm

Related to post and @ Michael

This is one of the Reasons why I think the human population should be controlled. I am trying not to think survival of the fittest is right especially in a civilised population and especially because of human rights and morality, but dear me there are a lot of stupid people in this world.

43. Dannyboy July 8, 2008 5:12 pm

This is less of a threat and more of a compliment to the school, if the kid hated the school he would not have spent so much time and effort re-creating it in such a detailed way, plus the fact that the only enemies you can fight against in the game are terrorists or counter-terrorists makes this school board retarded.

44. fsda July 8, 2008 5:44 pm

Unconcious morons.

45. Andrew July 8, 2008 5:51 pm

Typical, there goes the government again, jumping at shadows. Doing whatever they can to say “hey look, we busted a terrorist, see? Your tax money is in good hands, don’t worry!” While at the same time using the scare tactic of “See, terrorists may even be your own children!”

It’s too bad, the kid’s got talent. He should be making maps for the game developers or perhaps be an architect.

46. SubOne July 8, 2008 5:58 pm

This country (US) needs to spend less time trying to prove we have balls, and fucking grow some! I totally agree: Terrorists Win! However, it’s not like they started it; this country has been becoming more full of pansies year after year.

I’m not saying be completely insensitive; issues like racism are right to be brought up and handled appropriately (though I don’t think racism is a factor in this case), but these things get blown way out of proportion. Kids can’t wipe their ass nowadays without the government stepping in and telling mom and pop that if their kid develops a rash it’s because they’re bad parents and then they ban that type of toilet tissue. Let’s do a nationwide ban and recall on hammers; scientists now say that they can be used as a weapon.

I’m all for putting instructions on everything (even on shampoo bottles), but the warning labels are becoming excessive! If people don’t know by now that you should not ride a bike in the middle of the night with no light or reflective clothing then that’s their fucking fault.

Some people deserve to die yet we make sure they live regardless of how moronic they are. It’s called evolution; let those fuckers die so we can work on more productive things. An example of people that should die are people that are so hopped up on fear pills passed out by the media, that they can’t even live their lives. In the jungle, if you’re worried germs all fucking day you get eaten by a fucking lion. I say let those fuckers get eaten by lions and lets move on from this ridiculous spotlight thrown on everything that looks anything like what we fear.

Video games are not the issue here. If anything it should be noted that people that are playing video games are killing everything they have enough ammo to kill IN a game, RATHER than in real life.

I WOULD say we make a nationwide effort to make a CS map of EVERY school in the US (there’s got to be at least a few kids in every school with the know-how to create a CS map) — sort of a reverse boycott — but then I’d be worried the government would send me to one of their overseas prisons for starting a huge “terrorist” ring.

For fuck sake, evolve America!

47. nottext July 8, 2008 6:32 pm

During high school, I made a a Quake2 map of the high school with fun alterations such as secrets in the math rooms and the gym turned into a multi-level arena for rocketing.

It was a great exercise in getting familiar with 3d modeling.

Perhaps, it is not a matter of time but that we have already reached a state of fascism.

Wikitionary definition of fascism: A political regime based on strong centralized government, suppressing through violence any criticism or opposition of the regime, and exalting nation, state, or religion above the individual.

48. TWiG July 8, 2008 6:49 pm

I used DOOM to make a whole game of my high school back in the day.. killin goff the monstrous teacher “bosses” and the rest of the staff.. then, no one could give a damn about it.. but I did give a copy to a few of the cool teachers.

49. joe July 8, 2008 7:21 pm

The ridiculous part is that you all think its okay for the map to be in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER game — involving terrorists and counter terrorists. If this was a map for Care Bears Dream Wonderland 3D this would be no problem.

50. tom July 8, 2008 7:35 pm

He’s going to have a swell time next time he tries to board a plane.

51. shora July 8, 2008 7:36 pm

Oh wait, last semester I was asked to do a 3d model of my school, complete with labeling of the different sections and everything, and also I have a full tool box in my room, does that make me a terrorist?

Hell no, because I dont live in the ‘land of the free’…

52. Raskolnikov July 8, 2008 7:45 pm

Creating an FPS map of your school is, and should be a red flag. Moving Chen to an alternative education school where he can be watched more closely is an appropriate response in my opinion. High School USA is not equipped to monitor these situations, nor should they be expected to.

The school system, local law enforcement, and courts have been left to handle these situations, and this is about the best they can do. If you don’t want your kids in this type of situation, don’t let them stay up all night developing computer related personality and behavioral disorders. Parent up.

53. me July 8, 2008 7:57 pm

you all americans live in a concentration camp named USA,
    and have your own hitler(bush)

i´m sorry about you

54. David July 8, 2008 8:29 pm

Cops see map. Map is better then they’re own training simulator. Cops are pissed. Cops steal boys golden hammer with hopes of building their own better training simulator. School pissed cause everyone is talking about them but not too them. Kid happy cause he’s now got a guaranteed career in a good gaming company.

55. scott July 8, 2008 8:36 pm

OMG – now EVERYONE will know the layout of his school… and show up with hammers and kill everyone.

Quick – burn the constitution!

Apologies, all – we’re not all fascist, ignorant Bush-backers here in Texas. Some of us still believe in freedom and can’t wait for that cretin to leave office.

56. ArmyOfAardvarks July 8, 2008 9:00 pm

I agree that this is completely psycho (especially since I remember making StarCraft maps of my school long ago). However, I do get annoyed when it’s automatically assumed that such tactics are part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy.

That kind of assumption is just as ignorant as throwing a kid in jail for making a map of his school.

57. Warbaine July 8, 2008 9:04 pm

Michael:
    “The land of the free… Thats good work. You have to break eggs to make an omelette. So what if innocent people get hurt? Its for a good cause. We get some bad guys sooner or later. I wish we could get rid of all non-americans somehow. Oh, and the atheists. Then we wouldnt need to have neither police or army, cause good white american christians are good people. We have to protect our way of living, cause the terrorists wants to take it from us. They cant stand happy people, so they blow themselves up, in hope that we will get as miserable as they are. They have no other dreams in life, things like love and family life. We have to keep the shining beacon of freedom the u.s. protected. They all envy us.”

I’m getting the creepy feeling he just altered a hitler speech

58. Alarm! July 8, 2008 9:13 pm

So the makers of grand theft auto 4 should be arrested for recreating NYC under this same logic. This doesn’t even make sense.

59. i July 8, 2008 9:17 pm

…there should be a website with maps for every high school/middle school/college ever…ARREST THE INTERNET! get working kids.

60. jk July 8, 2008 10:00 pm

Welcome to fascism..

61. this is total July 8, 2008 10:09 pm

Bullshit. fuck the system.

62. collie1312 July 8, 2008 10:43 pm

Well thats school rules…..haha

63. The Butcher July 8, 2008 10:56 pm

64. robert fischer July 8, 2008 11:16 pm

wow… you know your country has gone to far when it calls high school kids terrorists and locks them up with out any charges…

i guess that makes me a terrorist too… cause we did the same thing when i was in high school… but it was with the first game editor for doom…

boy have things changed… FUCK GEORGE W BUSH

65. Warbaine July 8, 2008 11:26 pm

The Butcher said:
    “See, the problem here is that we have morons like Sean cheering the Brown Shirts on. “The world is full of evil people. It’s our reality. Until a better solution is worked out, zero tolerance is the policy.” No, zero tolerance is a form of non-thinking, just like patriotism, nationalism, racism, and religion. You are letting other people make the hard decisions for you, because you are a lazy coward too afraid that the freedom of others is going to somehow hurt you. The chances of you dying in a terrorist attack or school shooting are infinitesimally small, yet you treat the world as if these are common occurrences.”
    Because these violent acts are reported and everyone knows about them in truth Media is somewhat to blame for failing to provide anything to measure this against. Though I think most people want to hear things like this so that everyday deaths are no longer a worry and you feel safe knowing that the one horrible tragedy you think about is almost certain not to happen to you.

66. Sean Tovson July 9, 2008 1:34 am

I planned on doing this in college for CounterStrike purely for fun with my roommates who played the game all day every day. I guess it pays to be lazy!

67. Fish Stick July 9, 2008 1:43 am

Funny, at our school, one of the projects for senior animation students in past years was to create maps of the school grounds for the half-life engine, because it is free of charge to use.

68. Mayfair July 9, 2008 1:48 am

words cant describe how i feel about this… also a hammer! i have taken hammers to school before! i take carpentry course and the school would even lend me one if i forgot mine. i hate schools, i was once suspended for having a multi-tool on me at school (i had it for the same reason as the hammer, for my carpentry course), i mean really i can understand it but still what can you seriously do with one…

69. tar July 9, 2008 1:54 am

the reason they got all up in arms about this is because apparently the kids who did columbine basically did the same thing, made a map of their school in Doom and, ostensibly, used it to practice. i can’t recall right now if it was ever conclusively proven that they made the map for practice purposes, but that’s what the big fuss is about in this story, anyway.

that still doesn’t make it any less fucking retarded, though. it’s just a form of “playing pretend,” like we all used to do when we were kids. at least one commenter here probably played cops and robbers or cowboys and injuns as a child – did you ever think for a second that it would be okay to go out in public and really act like a cop, thief, cowboy and/or native american? how many women do you know who still hold “tea” parties with stuffed animals?

70. Derringer July 9, 2008 2:25 am

America is so fucked. Thank god I don’t live there.

He should totally say that he has artistic license to reproduce his school in any medium he wishes. Too bad they won’t give a shit.

The terrorists already won the “War on Terror”, the US is terrified of themselves. Look at the airports, look at this incident. Have fun living in a locked-down country.

71. Russ.T.Trombone July 9, 2008 2:37 am

This is another clear-cut example of why all hammers need trigger locks.

The map he made could be used by some crazy kid as a blueprint to shoot-up the school. I have actually found several sites that show aerial and street views of a lot of places, and should be outlawed immediately from the inter-tubes. At the risk of national security, I will list them here.

maps.google.com
    mapquest.com

You know, anyone planning a school shooting could…just…go to the school and walk about and take pictures! We must therefore rise up against the liberals and ban walking, pictures, and schools!

Blueprints. Gotta ban all blueprints as they can later be used against the owner of the building. The clear path to safe civil engineering in the post 9/11 era is to just wing it without any fancy plans.

We must send to Guantanamo the following domestic terrorists / domestic terrorist entities:
    -Rockstar Games for Grand Theft Auto 4′s realistic depiction of NYC, complete with killing innocents and raping babies and selling police officers to slave-drivers for drug porn sex booze money
    -Activision for True Crime: Streets of NY and True Crime: Streets of LA
    -All traffic reporters for outlining the bet escape routes during rush hour
    -All weather reporters for helping to plan shootings on nice (or.. NOT NICE) days

I just shat my pants thinking about how scary my country has become.

72. cl July 9, 2008 2:51 am

mike “Then we wouldnt need to have neither police or army, cause good white american christians are good people.”

Given the stuff you just wrote, I am sure you are some poor redneck that never went to school and don’t know anything outside 100 mile radius. But have you ever heard of Tim McVeigh?

When people talk about religious fundamentalist/extremist, they think about the Middle East, may be they should start thinking about the trash in America’s own backyard.

Also, I like how people see no problem with having guns everywhere, but yet, some kid made a map for a video game and has a hammer in his room is immediately a school shooter/terrorist/murder/kitten eater.

73. mon July 9, 2008 3:29 am

whoa. I see discrimination here. It’s probably because they’re freaked out by the Virginia Tech shootings and the Akihabara massacre. They think we asians are psycho now. Come on, you’re blocking creativity! That kid could’ve been great, making a map like that when he’s just a high schooler. But the idiots just have to bring him down.

74. Powerrules July 9, 2008 3:58 am

Far out Americans are paranoid.

Warning to all paranoid Americans:

PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL OUTSIDE YOUR COUNTRY BORDERS. THE REAL WORLD IS TOO MUCH FUN… WE WOULDN’T WANT YOU RUINING IT.

To all the no-paranoid Americans: let’s grab a beer…

75. jcypher July 9, 2008 4:13 am

Well, he can just do homeschooling the last part of the year, crash the high school graduation party, and apply to colleges of his choice anyway. Most colleges, including big state universities and ivy league ones, accept homeschoolers with a smile.

It’s sad that the public schools punished him instead of recognizing his obvious talent.

76. Kevan July 9, 2008 4:20 am

Michael, that is the best parody of American idiocy I have ever seen. Kudos

77. Rob July 9, 2008 6:13 am

The world is FUCKED what more is there to say.

78. Manny July 9, 2008 6:14 am

Ok lol i did a map of my street and 4 houses even the street to go to work would i get arrested too its fucking stupid fags scare of some fucing game its a fucking kid playing a game COPS OR THE FUCKING PRESIDENT are dumbass bitches BUSH did that shit on the 911 so fuck them and fuck who ever fucking delete or comment me.

79. wiley July 9, 2008 6:16 am

If they’re serious about terrorism, there would be more gun-control legislation. Protecting the general public from map-making gamers is stupid. Why don’t they throw everyone who worked on Google Maps or the engineers who manage GPS satellites for that matter. Those can be used by terrorists too.

80. Manny July 9, 2008 6:18 am

lets all play in that map lets put that map in every single server support him the map is a nice looking school, i can find it if you need a copy let me know….

81. MichaelsManFriend July 9, 2008 6:53 am

@Michael

Come back to bed Michael and do that thing you do so well with my “Hammer” ;)

82. Aaron July 9, 2008 8:35 am

Well I’m glad you found the “hole” story.

83. Steven Pharol July 9, 2008 2:33 pm

Stupid americans

84. Ryan July 9, 2008 3:50 pm

Anyone can go to the county court house and request the blueprints to that school. It’s a matter of public record (as long as it is a public school). Private schools have some leeway.

His problem is that it was for a violent game…ya just can’t do that since Columbine.

But I’ll bet he could have done it as a Mosk in Iraq…they might be terrorists (overly sarcastic tone)

85. peepants July 9, 2008 5:59 pm

“I found the hole story ” you mean the whole story. Christ I am so sick of America’s stupidity.

86. FUCKING AMERICANS July 9, 2008 6:31 pm

Thats bullshit i did this when i was at school, it a familiar environment adn everyone know the way round so when your playing with classmates they know what goes where and it makes it more fun. Its like playing with pretend guns in the playground.

Jesus AMERICANS ARE FUCKING RETARDED…..

87. panicpanda July 9, 2008 9:12 pm

I actually made a map of my school back in the days of counter-strike1. I even walked around taking pictures for the textures. The security guards asked me what I was doing, and my friend blurted out “we’re making a map of the school for a shooting game!” The guards just laughed.

This was pre-september11 though…

88. Mike July 10, 2008 12:06 am

Another reason to hate authority… Cops… FBI… etc.

89. Finklesteinenberger July 10, 2008 3:34 am

So GTA IV recreates the majority of NYC perfectly but this kid recreates his school and he’s instantly fucked. Also, a hammer? Come on, these people are retarded.

90. DogsAreWar July 10, 2008 4:04 am

Damn this is shameful. I actually skipped over the part where it said that it was in Texas and I assumed that it was in China (Because it said “A Chinese student”) For China this seems like it wouldn’t be something out of the norm, but for the US this behavior is ridiculous. I mean, confiscating a hammer? Seriously…

91. Switch July 10, 2008 4:16 am

I am not surprised either. Disappointed, saddened and outraged, but not surprised.

On a side note, when they confiscated the hammer, it was probably his computer with hammer installed on it. Now the cops are modeling their precinct.

If he was in the process of making the map, the school should have asked him to stop making it and delete his files or something before flying off the handle. You should remember that you are still dealing with an adolescent here. Show wisdom and compassion as adults. You owe it to the children you are claiming to raise.

92. Jon July 10, 2008 4:24 am

Gratz to all of you who think this is acceptable. I bet you think the patriot act is a good idea too, right? Why not lock up anyone who looks like their children could be terrorists? I’m sure we’ll catch a terrorist here and there, right? “You have to break eggs to make an omelet.” That makes me want to vomit.

I’m in highschool. Freedom of Speech and creativity are sure nice to talk about in those hallways, but let’s get real. The real rules are as follows:

1) Say whatever you want, as long as it’s convenient and won’t hurt anyone’s feelings.
    2) You’re all unique… until the bell rings, then sit you asses down and take a standardized test.
    3) The words “Administration” and “God” are the same thing, and therefore are interchangeable.

It’s a crime, it really is. Poor guy. I wish you the best.

Hey, Teacher, leave those kids alone.

93. DarkAvenger July 10, 2008 6:08 am

god, i USED to live in this area, and trust me….the cops here are all retards, the school boards are all retards. for those who say americans are fucking retarded…no, retarded americans are fuckin retarded but they are just alot louder than the rest. I have travelled the world, i know that we arent the best country in the world, but EVERY COUNTRY has citizens that should be shot on site to keep them from breeding. and if you do believe that america is the only place that has stupid people, you are one of the morons that should not have babies.

anyways, back on the subject…i’ve done a few maps on counter-strike and i think i’ve even played this one. i tried makin my school but gave up halfway after i graduated and didnt care anymore. he should have been commended for doing something like that but there are 2 main kinda of people in fort bend county…mexicans and rednecks. most people that get into positions of authority fall into the latter choice. yes, it was a big thing of racial profiling, but face it EVERYBODY DOES IT

94. anon July 10, 2008 6:48 am

!@#$ing morons.

Anyone who thinks that this kid should of had the foresight to fall into line like all the rest of the sheep need to go take a long walk off a short bridge.

He wanted to make a map.

Period. A virtual map. Inspired by his school.

But oh you protest what about all the recent shootings in schools?

.. Suck it up. People go off the deep end sometimes and thats that. I don’t care how many times I’ve laughed while blowing the heads off of make believe characters in fantasy settings. It doesn’t make me a criminal.

I don’t give a fuck how many people are killed in the real world for that matter. While its a shame it gives no-one in anyway any right to fuck with my rights to freedom of expression or any rights of anyone. Will we continue to watch as we sink into a police state that Hitler himself would applaud?

Losing our rights because of the actions of the few is not only illogical but is clearly the easiest way for this government to extend it’s control even farther and abolish the constitution already spat and kicked by none other than Georgie the worst president in American History.

WAKE UP!

OPEN YOUR EYES!

THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY AND IF WE CONTINUE TO ALLOW OUR RIGHTS TO BE STRIPPED AWAY IN THE NAME OF SECURITY THAN WE DESERVE TO SUFFER IN THE YEARS THAT FOLLOW.

DICTATORSHIP IN THIS COUNTRY IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN THE DIRECTION WE ARE HEADED DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

“The new world order”
    “Flouride in our drinking water”
    “NAFTA” the “EU” and the “AU”
    “Smart growth zones in America”

95. gamecoder July 10, 2008 8:03 am

well, looks like im starting a new project tonite, arlington and washington maps for bf2 LMAO, no, make it for PR so its MORE realistic

an awesome training platform for me and my terrorist friends, who go to work/school, have parents, no record of violent behaviour or criminal record, and/or smoke weed and are too lazy to make a dirty bomb. meh wheres my friggen lighter

96. Ocarina July 10, 2008 10:31 am

Jeez, I had thought of doing this same thing. Not for CS, but for various other FPSs, Doom included.

I just never got around to it. Maybe its better that way?

97. Black ICE July 10, 2008 11:47 am

In the past witches were chased and burnt. Now they make this with gamers. The history is repeating and mankind seems to be as stupid as in the past.

98. Recon # 54 July 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Based on the facts presented in the blog (he made a FPS map of his school, he was arrested, he had a hammer) I agree, this does seem like a bit of an over-reaction.

However, without agreeing with the actions of authorities, I would like to bring up a couple of points/thoughts that kept me from going to get my pitchfork.

Violence in schools is a hot-button that has everyone making kneejerk reactions in order to not be “the reason that these kids all died”. A similar example? Fly recently? Ever notice the signs at the airport about “not making jokes about bombs, terrorists or highjacking”?

But a joke is just that, right? It’s a verbal statement, it could have been said in protest of government action/inaction/reaction and as such is protected speech, right? Yeah, as long as you aren’t too concerned about getting to your destination, you go ahead and test that theory out.

Schools are on a similar “hair trigger” when it comes to anything that even remotely smells like a potential Columbine/VT brewing. They are going to react, react quickly and harshly and then sort things out. If that results in a massive overreaction initially and they then need to backpedal and apologize, from their point of view it is FAR better to apologize for overreacting to protect, than to apologize for “knowing about it and doing nothing” to the families of victims.

Do we get angry at firefighters responding to a “false alarm” when someone pulls a alarm station or sets off a smoke detector when they burned the popcorn? Do we yell and scream at paramedics who rush to a possible heart attack call only to find out the patient had gas? Seriously folks, how many here have the expectation that it is the duty and obligation of law enforcement to “keep me safe”? Since they aren’t telepathic, and people expect proactive protection (not just reactive investigation after a crime) they (like the fire department and EMS) have to respond as if every potential call is “the real thing”.

Days or weeks from now, this student will be back at school, with one hell of a story to tell and law enforcement will likely be reviewing what they did right and what they did wrong in order to have some “lessons learned”. I am guessing that since this ends up with a body count of zero and no mass media event, they will likely be glad that this one turned out well.

99. act487 July 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Wow…America. Stupid people dont realise the talent it takes to make a map like that. That is a good map. That blows my mind that idiot people would do that. I want to e-mail the school be like yall are morons! Learn some stuff about people before giving them the boot.

100. Christ July 10, 2008 10:38 pm

My name is Jesus Christ (No really)… I enjoy video games too.

What i don’t get is why you people get so fed up when someone makes an intricate CS: environment map of their own school. The idea is familiar surroundings allow someone to experience a simulation that they wouldn’t normally get (thereby having a feeling of “I’ve been here, wow, this is cool”). In all honesty, maybe we should stop taking the “he plays violent games” as a catch 22 and instead concentrate on the fact that “He’s playing violent video games; we were wrong to assume this will progress to terrorism, and we’re hypocrites for denying the fact that it was BETTER for them to have exercised their creativity in a simulation THAN ON YOUR FUCKING SCHOOL.”

QED, YOUR A FUCKING MORON GODDAMN SCHOOLBOARD. IF YOU WERE IN NORTH AMERICA I WOULD EGG YOUR BOARD’S BUILDING AND NAIL A LAWN ADVERTISEMENT ON YOUR PROPERTY WITH A PHOTO OF THAT MAP, AND THE BOARD’S LEADER’S FACE AS THE HEAD OF A TERRORIST FROM THAT FUCKING GAME, BECAUSE THAT’S THE EXACT KIND OF SHIT YOUR DOING WITH THAT DETERMINISTIC DICTATOR HORSESHIT. (That’s the EXACT kind of attitude that would give me a CLEAR GREEN LIGHT TO —FUCK— YOU —THE FUCK— RIGHT BACK).

101. ds July 10, 2008 11:10 pm

This is a crock of shit. I live in the Houston area myself and actually graduated from Spring High after have gone to high school the prior 3 years in Massachusetts. You have NO freedoms in Texas schools. Most have razor wire fences, they have armed police on campus (with tasers and guns), there is no freedom of speech. You cannot grow your hair out or have piercings if you are male, or even dye your hair. They even would not let a guy that had cancer wear a wig for Christs sake. It’s like sending your kids to jail for 8 hours a day. What has this world come to? The schools oppression along with parents that don’t give a shit are what’s making kids crack, NOT video games. I cannot wait until we vote the losers who make these dumb ass rules out of their positions. The voting population is getting closer to my age on average, so the time for revolution is near. These fake ass conservatives think that they can push their oppression on our kids have something coming… School is meant for LEARNING, not applying conservative Nazi bullshit to the CHILDREN. Most normal children cannot learn in these environments, and you wonder why Texas always rates toward the bottom of the education scale. The schools down here are over-crowded (the largest school in Houston was in my school district, Westfield), they are VERY diverse, racism is rampant, and nothing is done about it. The people in the Houston area need to realize that we live in the CITY, not out in the COUNTRY. There are no cowboys here. So stop applying your cowboy politics to our lives, and make some God Damn change.

102. abf July 10, 2008 11:20 pm

kid has talent

103. U r a fag Mike comment #2 July 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Christian retarded motherfucker, religion is only for brainwashed fucking faggots go die jesus fucker

104. Andy July 10, 2008 11:30 pm

My son was telling me last week he’d love to walk the grounds of an abandoned power plant near where we live because he thinks it would make an amazing Half-Life/Counter Strike level mod. At the time I thought he was absolutely right — the broken windows, the cooling towers, the turbine plant, even the toppled metal picnic tables in what is now some overgrown courtyard all looked like they were made for a post-apocalyptic shooter game. After reading this article, though, all I can think of is how many years he’d be locked up if he was ever “caught” mapping the complex. (Never mind that the floor plans for any public building are available for inspection at most City Halls around the country!) Our paranoia levels make me so proud to live in a post-Columbine, post-9/11 America…so very proud. *sighs*

105. Oliver July 11, 2008 1:00 am

well, I consider myself a gamer, but I can still see why using his school as a scenario for a fps is not ok. I’m sure most people would feel there should be a limit somewhere.
    say, what if he used real life photos of his fellow students for facial textures on opponents? you can’t say we’re not touching on something here.
    I don’t think the punishment is fair either, but I do think he did something he shouldn’t.

106. Matt July 11, 2008 6:07 am

Look im from Australia and if anything, we should be called the land of the free..
    For starters when we go to school we dont get searched by metal detectors etc..
    Anyway im a hardcore gamer myself, ive created maps of my surroundings before, and as someone else said, playing somewhere familiar in a 3D environment is really a great thrill, theres just something about it.
    Now getting back to the story, if this kid really wanted to cause some damage in anyway to his school do you really think he would take the time (a lot of hours, i mean a LOT) just to make a 3D map of his school, This is just crazy.
    The same people who are giving him an education are trying to bring him down.
    Good luck with this kids future.

107. Kaps July 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Guess what, its not the real terrorists who cause damage, but ppl who arrest a talented kid just because he made a map of a place he knows very well, hell, a place where he likes to run around.

108. Roltzy July 11, 2008 6:14 pm

WTF?!! describes this very accurately. Good thing the feds didn’t link the hammer to Valve’s Hammer Editor, the SDK program that guy probably used to create the map.

109. dook sinister July 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Pathetic, I do think that sometimes schools and law enforcement can go too far. And kudos to him for having the intelligence to create a map like that. Still there is no denying the fact that the decision to share the map to be used as a virtual battle ground for other students to deathmatch in is really, really stupid. especially being post 911, post Columbine, and post Virginia Tech. Remember, the staff at Virginia Tech all had warning signs that Cho had problems and some even recommended counseling but still, tragedy. Lets face it people, we live in a world where prior restraint/intervention part of our lives. That kid could have made a virtual walk through without the guns and it would have been portfolio material.

110. Justin July 11, 2008 9:29 pm

This is pathetic, it’s embarrassing. How the hell can creating a 3d digital ingame map be considered terrorism? Oh well, they found a hammer in his room, clearly he was building weapons of mass destruction.

111. Ben - SgtBash July 11, 2008 11:18 pm

I once began making a CS:S map of my high school. I never intended to use custom textures to make it look like mine specifically but with all the school shootings going around I just decided to scrap the idea. This kid didn’t have the best judgment but he hasn’t done anything worth being arrested for. I am not into CS1.6 anymore but that looks like a very high quality 1.6map with custom textures and a lot of work put into it. 2 people at my school maximum know what I can do with hammer editor and it seems the same case with this kid. The school looked past his skills and just saw guns on a virtual rendering of the place and flipped out. I know several people who could have done this and gotten compliments on their “computer savvyness” while someone like me, or nearly this kid, would get thrown in jail without a second glance.

112. not american July 12, 2008 2:31 am

Bush = american
    thus americans are like BUSH; stupid.
    how about if i make a map of the white house???
    or maybe the pentagon
    LOL

113. Real July 12, 2008 4:39 am

I attended a tour of a digital arts college for 3d design in which they demonstrated to us the Unreal Tournament map they had modeled after the college campus.

114. Anonymous July 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Wow! Paranoia at its best. I actually started doing this when I was in Jr. High (back in the 90′s before all the school shootings started happening). I simply thought that it would be cool to play deathmatch against friends in a map that resembled our school so we could have storied like, “Remember the time I fragged you when you weren’t looking in english class?” I actually got the blueprints from the school to make the map, however I didn’t have enough time to finish.

Now, I wouldn’t imagine doing that. Funny how things change so much in a matter of a decade.

Honestly, a student with the desire and talent to make this kind of map shows some potential in 3D modeling and architecture. You’d think that rather than freaking out, teachers would recognize the interest of the student and work to encourage a more positive outlet for their creative energy. It’s sad to think that any desire this kid had towards 3D modeling and architecture may have been squelched due to the negative experience the school has turned this into.

115. LiviuX July 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Sa faca si cu liceul ala Jeam Monet … faza aia cu grenada chiar merge :))

116. wei July 13, 2008 7:25 pm

It’s not the school’s fault. Apparently the parents are the ones who notified the school. They probably described the situation as dangerous, which caused the school to react harshly. His parents are a disgrace.

117. OjiTetsuoOni July 13, 2008 7:50 pm

That’s fucking retarded, yeah it can be seen as vantage points for some horrendous act. Some fucking people are just stupid to fall into a state of mind where everyone is a “terrorist” maybe you should think of yourself as a terrorist and start shooting yourselves in the head.

118. Adam July 13, 2008 11:34 pm

Imagine you are the kid. You’re good in school and decide to use some of your creative energy to create a map of the school for a game. After weeks of hard work, you finally finish your masterpiece. Naturally, you want to show someone. You’re all proud of your hard work, but the next thing you know you are in prison and even a hammer you used to fix your bed is considered a potential murder weapon.

Now imagine you are the parents, police, and school board. You learn that a free and easily downloadable map of the school has been made for a first person shooter game. Anyone can have fun shooting people up in a school. Does this look good to you? NO! This looks awful! It is a disaster that puts every student’s life on the line.

Here’s my opinion on the matter. Obviously, the map should be taken off of the internet. I just don’t think that anyone should get any blame. No one intentionally did anything wrong after all, right?

119. Sean July 14, 2008 9:03 pm

how can it be the land of the free when some one cant just make a map of a school. Shows how smart the American police are.

120. Jamie July 14, 2008 10:17 pm

So when are they arresting the guys from GTA and ruining THEIR lives? I bet you they’ve ALL got hammers!

121. Josh July 16, 2008 5:15 am

wow too bad it does look like an awesome map? but isn’t there a map already like that called ken_west?

122. The Mentor July 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for. -The Hacker Manifesto-

123. lawlerskates July 17, 2008 3:41 am

lawl lawl!!! The older generation that can’t use computers needs to sit the fuck down and let the next generation step forward. Seriously this is rediculous. The people who suspected this kid of being a terroist need to be beaten with a stick for being so retarded.

124. Cool boy 10 July 17, 2008 3:46 am

games and life are not the same. Why can’t senile old people understand this

125. tony July 17, 2008 5:33 pm

If someone were so inclined to do ANYTHING at all to that school, or ANY public institution or building in the whole freaking country you can easily get your hand on blueprints of the building. They are public record. So what would a school in, let’s say Montana, do if I decided to make a map based off blue prints I found in public records? This is such a joke, Fear mongering at it’s worst. Looks like the Terrorists are winning this fight after all. Perhaps they need to arrest Rockstar for making a somewhat accurate representation of NYC. This family could and should sue the police department and the school.

126. dave July 18, 2008 1:27 pm

wat the heck this is so retarded. If i was that uy i would sue the hell out of the police for this. Wat did they think hwas going to do sell the map to alkaeda

127. dave July 18, 2008 1:28 pm

wat the heck this is so retarded. If i was that guy i would sue the hell out of the police for this. Wat did they think he was going to do sell the map to alkaeda

128. NameIsNotRequired July 18, 2008 11:42 pm

You are – “of course” – allowed to carry a firearm because the Second Amendment says so. Great. Perfect. And maybe it’s just me – after all, I’m just a silly European, so what do I know, right? – but it MIGHT be time to reconsider something that was written – oh, I don’t know – more than TWO CENTURIES ago. But hey, let’s “just” not do that. (Silly European.) Let’s not blame the Second Amendment for the fact that it makes it easier for a kid to take a gun to school than a lunch box. Instead, let’s focus on Evil First-Person-Shooter Maps of high schools. Because, you know, guns don’t kill people; Evil Maps kill people. Then again, what do I even expect from a country that is run by an incompetent moron and has an extremely high percentage of religious (and hence: irrational) tools living there. Let’s just hope for the best…

129. Sick of fear-mongering July 19, 2008 4:55 am

This is getting rediculous… I work at a major chain retail store that happens to love blue. Its basically a box with doors. If I make it in the Sims am I a terrorist too? Will they come and confiscate my chef knives and multipurpose camping tool?

130. Noraa July 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Forgive my possible ignorance but I thought in America guns were legal. So why arrest a kid for having a hammer in his room. And on a slightly different note; Why are there so many prejudices against games bieng evil when movies like Hostel and other things promote violence but no one seems to give a toss?

131. Fig July 19, 2008 5:43 pm

It seems that the kind of people who arrested him are the kind of people who think Counter Strike is real video footage.

132. Nicholas July 19, 2008 7:37 pm

I understand why this was done–it wasn’t just a map, and it’s unjust that this article paints it so.
    It’s a CS map–a Counter-Strike map.

He build a map to be used in Counter-Strike, which is a FPS, or First-Person-Shooter Game.

THAT is the problem, not that he made the map, he made it for a video game where you are shooting other people.

I think the school came to the best logical conclusion. The only thing that should be in question is whether the actions they took are the correct ones that should have been taken.

I don’t think they should withhold him from graduation. Other than that, arresting him was the best thing to do in a situation where he build a school map and started to shoot people in it in a FPS game.

133. Nicholas July 19, 2008 7:41 pm

@ Jamie (“So when are they arresting the guys from GTA and ruining THEIR lives?”)
    That’s a good point! The GTA series are completely based off of real cities, so why aren’t they arresting everyone who buys those game?

The only answer I came up with is that the kid in this scenario personally made the school map, whereas everyone who bought GTA didn’t put a lot of work into getting the opportunity to shoot people up in those cities.

Your argument makes a lot of sense though.

134. RIck July 19, 2008 10:04 pm

How about not making a map like this to play a FPS with your friends??? This dumb ass gook should not have made them, then you would have had to go through this crap. Stupid people need to die anyways.

135. Kai July 19, 2008 11:10 pm

if they say this kid is a terrorist for making a map of his school for a game then i guess everyone at rockstar who worked on GTA IV r terrorists to because you are in New York and you can shoot people and everything like that…..if 1 person cant do it then nobody should be allowed to

136. Will July 20, 2008 4:20 am

Just FYI, I live in Sugar Land, TX where this happened. For those of you wondering, this story actually happened last year, pretty much right after the Virginia Tech incident, so people were a bit paranoid about school shootings. If I remember correctly, I believe that he was allowed to walk at graduation but did not receive exemptions on his final exams.

137. Bah~ July 20, 2008 7:15 pm

What the fuck they pushed this too far, next thing we know if this continues Anyone that plays fps games will be a terrorist or they’l ban this games… paranoid people with their fucking patriotism makes this country turn into shit

138. B-ron July 20, 2008 11:48 pm

the world is fuckin’ retarded
    someone give this kid a job…once he gets out of jail that is

139. FrAmE July 22, 2008 8:57 pm

This is stupid. Another fine example of our amazing country in action. Land of the free and home of the brave my a**….

140. Leigh July 23, 2008 1:52 am

“Now, those other people aren’t “innocent bystanders” in the game, and the setting is more of a battle-like rather than “shoot up the citizens”, but it’s still very easy to make the conclusion that he made the map to practice shooting people on, to try and find the best hiding places/vantage points/etc.”

Thats exactly what he made the map for: shooting PLAYERS. Players in a fucking game. How about you play CS for a few hours and see if it really prepares you for waling into a school with a real gun and killing your classmates… Jesus fucking christ you people are retarded.

141. Online Advertising July 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Young kid tries to create a video game and we through him in jail. Way to have ambitions youth of america!

142. hoq July 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Good thing I never published the HS map I made in the original Jedi Knight game back in the day. The school board would’ve expelled me, whilst ordering the police to search the premises for unauthorized lightsabers.

143. unknown caller July 25, 2008 2:47 pm

don’t like it tell them what you think…right from their website:

Clements High School
    4200 Elkins Drive | Sugar Land | TX | 77479
    Phone: 281-634-2150 | Fax: 281-634-2168

I say, give em a call and let em know what you think. They deserve it don’t they? You know there are organizations that organize right wingers to call and complain about stuff howard sterns says on the air and crap like that…. I say…. lets give morons a taste of their own medicine!

144. Tool July 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Freedom is dead, Ignorance is rampant.

145. caleb July 27, 2008 12:46 am

so, sony can have a church in resistance, but some kid cant publish a map of his school as a counterstrike map?

hell, how could they have even arrested him? cause he published something online?

it wasn’t like illegally downloading music, so how c ould they have arrested him?

he should sue

146. caleb July 27, 2008 1:41 am

BTW, if anyone knows any game editors that i could make work on my crappy computer, then i’d appreciate it, i plan to make a map of my school, because i have often thought it’d kick ass to play paintball in it

147. Christo July 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Ok for starters, this kid never made any models of his fellow class mates or teachers. He just modeled the terrain.
    I think thats what your problem is in America, you think everyone want to destroy “your way of life” (referring to the silly remarks of Micheal) and everyone envy you…. you live in a dream world. Maybe if you stop thinking your so fucking awesome people would start liking you and wont try and steal your way of living. I hope this kid get a job with Ubisoft, clearly he is talented.

148. teddyhcraig July 31, 2008 7:46 pm

The reason they do it is fear.

It is the same fear that compels an animal to attack something it sees as a threat.

And it shows that the people of this age have become the slaves of what they fear!

I believe that is why perfect loves casts out fear. So we can live in freedom from it! Because this type of fear enslaves, and then torments, those who surrender to it. Nothing good comes from that.

P.S., Think about that the next time you last out and destroy something that you are afraid of!

149. Andrei July 31, 2008 8:30 pm

I can’t believe he is being punished for developing his skill set and furthering his education and knowledge on his own.

So, can I be arrested if I made a painting or a drawing of my school? And my paint-brushes and pencils could be confiscated because they are stabbing weapons?

This is unbelievable.

150. Anon August 2, 2008 11:53 am

lol this proves americans are idiots

151. Matt August 3, 2008 2:03 pm

hey people that dont live in america, its the government people that are screwed up, not te commen citizens. so plz don’t go thinking america sucks so bad and everyone thinks they rock. we just need to get our government in check and bush out of office. also that is typical dickface behavior, arresting a kid for making a high school map on a game, *scoff*

152. Beth August 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Wow, I’m in college and I was sponsored by my admissions program to create a 3d version of my college campus in ut2004 (although it’s four tourism) but still, that’s the most insane thing I’ve ever heard… He’s just working with things he views everyday, the easiest things to model. That school is probably just a bunch of technologically backwards people ever for them to have kicked him out of school for that. wtf.

153. P August 21, 2008 3:41 am

I don’t take either sides. Although I don’t find anything wrong with what the chinese kid did (He is a GREAT designer and what the **** wrong with creating a map that SO HAPPENED to look like your school?) But the truth is… we have to take measures to ensure safety. I don’t find anything wrong with what the system did. I mean. They were trying to protect others. Kicking him out though, was a clear crime made by the system. We are in AMERICA. Heck, it doesn’t matter if we’re IN AMERICA. We could do the ever the hell we want and if it isn’t a crime… then why get punished?

Alas. With all the mixed emotions aside. For whatever reason Chinese-guy did this, the system shouldn’t have kicked him out.

154. B0570N August 25, 2008 2:09 am

Holy fuckin sh1t guys I got a hammer in my room some one call the police im a terrorist. O no even worse I have a pencil OMG imagine what I could do with it and Im SURE the school or police department doesnt have a hammer in it that would be crazy. There trying to stop terrorists there making them if I was that kid I would be SUPER PISSED at whoever did that to him the school system and the police. I mean come on guys its a map big deal get on with life hes not gonna kill someone

155. DW August 27, 2008 3:53 pm

It is truly sad when someone who is creating a map for fun for a game thats meant to be fun (though i despise CS) can be charged and expelled from their school because they thought he was a terrorist.

i mean, sure theres a shitload of people out there that always claim gamers to be the next gen Terrorists because hey we are all entering simluation for blowing up buildings, shooting people in the head from long distances, and working tactically to remove things we dont like..

What the fuck is this shit?!?! We don’t play to learn to kill people you fucking idiots! we play to have fucking fun! i dont understand why people dont see this and they always look on the bad side of everything!

christ, all the shootings were blamed on Games, everything blames games even the recent news about how GTA caused a boy to kill his parents and freaking steal a car! thats not what games do, its the fucking idiots of our societies who take it the wrong way and when they are in trouble see video games as a scape goat or an excuse to get them out of trouble..

Leave games alone for fucks sake and leave us gamers alone, its almost as bad as blaming Crackers for Hackers! (Crackers being those who actually use their skills and knowledge to make their computers and others run better through all kinds of means)..

soo many things that frustrate me right now becuase of this.. and this only adds gasoline to the flames.

156. Bosco August 30, 2008 5:54 am

This is ridiculous so what he made a map big deal he’s a gamer i think ppl are too paranoid with the world today.. my question is why do we act so scared b/c if we act scared didn’t they technically win?

Who’s the terrorist now?

157. steve September 1, 2008 7:50 pm

Is it because of 9/11?

158. rocketrefund September 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Fuck you guys! I’m gonna get you with a hammer!!

159. BiologyPremed October 31, 2008 10:41 pm

this post is in reply to: “Michael July 7, 2008 4:50 pm

WOW…The type of White people that you consider Americans are actually non-Americans. you are Europe’s Americans, so it seems like you want to get rid of yourself? lol. The only true Americans are the Native Americans that inhabited this country for centuries before the vikings or Columbus came along.

OH BY THE WAY THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL COMMENT OF THAT IGNORANT IDIOT.

p.s ty to look up the word irony before you post angry hate comments d.s.

Mike”

160. IbiosnakeI November 7, 2008 8:03 pm

“omg you made a map of your school on gmod, your a terrorist” come on people, all he wanted to do was to have a bit of fun, people get so worked up about such stupid little things, i bet he never even thought of doing anything in real life, i feel so sorry for this kid…..

161. Alphus December 20, 2008 10:24 am

What else can we expect from the US…. i mean its not suprising they pinned the label of a ‘terrorist’ those poor idiots at the CIA and the FBI are looking for absolutely anyone to parade as a TERRORIST… Bah!!!!!

Speaking as a Fellow Gamer and a Big CS fan i TOTALLY UNDERSTAND the kid making a map of his school…. i myself am making a map of my University and its not cause i want to blow the place up but cause i wanna play with my batch mates and juniors on that map…… It’ll be my gift to my University’s CS community……. i dont think the chinese kids intentions were any different.

Land of the FREE indeed……. rofl

162. Julia February 12, 2009 10:16 pm

To michael all the way up at the top ^. Good “white” christians don’t practice hate, bias and discrimination. I don’t know how you can think that you have the spirit working in you. It isn’t ironic that you have the devil working in you, and it is the duty of good christians to infrom you of this.

163. Peter Piper June 10, 2009 1:57 pm

A HAMMER in his room? Egads! Call the FBI!

I guess the school administration had heard the song, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” and they realized right away what he might be up to.

“Back in school again, Maxwell plays the fool again. Teacher gets annoyed. Writing fifty times I must not be soo, oh, oh oh. But she turns he back on the boy, he sneaks up from behind. Maxwell’s silver hammer came down upon her head. Maxwell’s silver hammer made sure that she was dead”.

I mean, if you listen to this song, it’s obvious what the kid was up to. Ummm, isn’t it?

164. Peter Piper June 10, 2009 1:58 pm

So yeah, let’s arrest all gamers for starters. Then let’s arrest everyone who owns a hammer. Then we’ll arrest people who look Asian. Then we’ll all be safe from terrorists.

165. Clarkson July 2, 2009 7:00 pm

Good to see that the US paranoia is still intact. The Bush administration really pulled one over on y’all. Land of the Free: what a big fucking joke.

166. Jade July 2, 2009 10:50 pm

It’s idiotic to assume he was blamed because he was a gamer. Such strong action was taken because he made a MAP of a SCHOOL for a game about SHOOTING people. Damn people, are you really that ignorant of why this school system would react so strongly? No one gives a flying damn what race he is, or that he’s a gamer! I’m a gamer, and even I get that. Hello?

167. ShockMouse August 10, 2009 4:38 pm

This is fucking stupid. I, myself, am a 3D artist and avid gamer, and I say with confidence that there was nothing wrong with what he did. My first large scale model? My high school. Why? It’s a familiar environment that you can envision while practicing your skills. 3D modeling is hard, but it’s even harder when you’re not familiar with what it is you are making. It was probably all in good practice and fun, but of course, the school board has to go apeshit because he’s a “terrorist” now for making a fake version of his school in his favorite game. God, this country is so fucked. I couldn’t be happier that I’m moving away from it in a year’s time.

168. Bob Smith August 19, 2009 11:50 am

Someone think of the children! You know, video games like FPS’s are the reason shootings happen and not gun control!

I’m glad they busted him with a hammer and the intent to fix a bed, though I’m sure he won’t be sleeping soundly tonight

169. Darkr0nin September 23, 2009 4:30 am

Cripple what little freedom that kids have in school in case they MIGHT be planning a shooting. Talk about putting out a fire by burning down another building…

Turning schools into work camps will cause unprecedented school shootings, you mark my words.

Than again, it IS China. I really shouldn’t be surprised.

170. mike December 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow, absolutly wow.

I’m in a game development class and i just have to say that’s pretty good work. Especially if that is all self taught.

However what happened to the kid. Is outstandingly surprising, and anyone who suports what happened should really be baned from reproduction because honestly, you arn’t halping the human gene pool.

So he made a map in a game. How can this possibly help in plotting any kind of shooting. Even if he wanted to, he would know it inside out, who needs a fucking 3-D map. That shit isn’t rediculously easy to make.

It takes effort, skill, and an artisitic sence, Especially for detail. Now this is an assumption but i’m going to state a possabilety. He plays counter strike, leanrs about the possabilety of making maps. Messes around a bit and thinks this is cool, he enjoys it, and would like to join the comunity of online map makers. (probably talked to a few)

so he plays allot of counter strike, so this may meen he doesn’t get allot of free time to go out. I bet at a piont if he talked to level designers they recomeneded modeling somethingthing they know.

His school. (A place of learning – i will bring this up later)

so he makes a map (a good one)

and then gets publicly humiliated and can no longer graduate…. wow

fucking wow

To those who think games cause violence. Please play some games and learn about something before you force you BS opinion on the topic.

The existance of guns, how we use them, or relly on them (even for protection) is why people shoot up schools or other things. Humans are violent, we apparently enjoy living like this because we arn’t changing fast (or better). Stop blaming games because you can’t face blaming yourself.

so finished with that rant on to part two.

a school is a place of learning? Bullshit. I would donate to have him sue the school board aswell.

He was learning, so why is he penalized?
    why can’t he graduate?

the only answere i can see is that that school is increadably ignorant of new things and educational oportunities. People shouldn’t waste their time there.

I have one sujestion to the kid who can no longer graduate there. Come to canada, put your map in a portfolio. Join my game dev class. Graduate and get a job that can use your skills.

It’s a shame the world has forgotten so much in the search for blame.

171. bob June 16, 2010 3:05 pm

We had to actually make the school in google sketch-up for a project in tech class at my school..

America

172. Appaled Gamer June 26, 2010 5:09 pm

O MY GOSH!! This is the most ridiculous and insane thing that I’ve heard in a long time!!! I and a friend from college make maps for Call of Duty and both of us have used elements from our college in our maps – It is normal for people to recreate familiar environments for a 3D map! I made a map of my house once too – should I be arrested for plotting to kill my parents or something???!!! There is no ulterior motive in the making of the maps – we just make them because it is fun – and accurate reproduction of some real place that I know is a challenge to see how good I can make it!! – THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE – I hope that family sues both the government for wrongful arrest and the school for plain stupidity and screwing up his academic career. I hope they sue for millions of dollars and win – then they can send their kid to gaming design school and he can make even better maps of his school without those stupid MORONS getting in the way!! What is this country coming to??

173. Appaled Gamer June 26, 2010 5:14 pm

And what’s with the hammer – I don’t even know what to say except Hey idiots! It’s a hammer – you know, something to drive nails with! Better go arrest all the carpenters in America and confiscate their “Weapons”

174. bethanie August 20, 2010 5:41 am

not that i agree with the way the school board dealt with the whole situation, but i o understand being cautious. i think that the only reason they took it as a serious threat to begin with is because it is a fps, and one of the shooters at columbine id the same exact thing with doom before he ended shooting up the school there.

175. jdmbandit September 14, 2011 9:55 pm

this was in sugarland,texas… it is the rival highschool of the highschool i went to, my friends and i played the map all the time, it’s pretty awesome.

Trackbacks